OPINION PIECE BY TIISETSO MAKHELE
1. Radical land reform: About 72 percent of the nation’s private farmland is in white hands. Whites constitute 9 percent of the population. Solomon Mahlangu did not die for this nonsense.
2. Quality healthcare for all through the National Health Insurance: At the risk of sounding unpatriotic, I must state that the state of our health system is a crisis.
3. Ensure the central bank performs developmental tasks, and is in the hands of the people, not private shareholders: Unlike most central banks in the world, our SARB is a private entity, whose fascination is inflation, and doesn’t assist with our developmental goals like reducing unemployment, fighting poverty and growing the economy. It is nothing but a tool used by private banks to further impoverish us.
WHAT PUBLIC REPRESENTATIVES ARE BUSY WITH, INTER ALIA:
4. Beauty contesting during state of nation and province addresses.
5. Nonsensical ribbon-cutting.
6. English and no actual radical change.
7. Nonsesical gala dinners, when a staggering part of the population sleep with empty stomachs
8. Nonsesical side issues and fighting for crumbs left by our oppressors.
9. Lies, lies and lies.
WHAT KIND OF PUBLIC REPRESENTATIVES DO WE NEED?
10. Agile activists whose primary preoccupation is the people, not nyatsis and offspring.
11. Cadres who are class and black conscious, not moronic, colonised, and class neutral fellows who are just collecting cheques from the state.
12. Courageous, industrious and reading cadres who understand the underlying challenges we are facing, not those who lead and operate on the bases of common sense. Not lazy People who can’t even lift a finger, but are event-driven.
13. Scientific and organic intellectuals, not myopic, unthinking Apartheid Teachers who regard the people as their class kids. Not people with certificates but cannot apply theory in practice.
Makhele is an African Marxist. He writes what he likes, in his own capacity, without fear or favour.
“The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author. They do not represent the opinions or views of Central news