Ramaphosa
President Cyril Ramaphosa is confident that the Madlanga Commission will hand in its long-awaited first report by December 17, 2025. This update came during a heated court battle at the Pretoria High Court, where the MK Party and former president Jacob Zuma are fighting to stop some of Ramaphosa’s key decisions. The case, heard at the Palace of Justice on Thursday, centres on claims that the president overstepped his powers. As South Africa grapples with deep concerns over corruption in its police and courts, this inquiry could be a game-changer in rebuilding trust.
The commission, set up earlier this year, aims to dig into serious allegations of wrongdoing in the country’s justice system. With judgment now reserved in the latest court round, many are watching to see if the probe will go ahead without more hitches.
Background to the Madlanga Commission
The Madlanga Commission came about after shocking claims rocked South Africa’s law enforcement world. On July 6, 2025, KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi spoke out at a media briefing. He accused a clever criminal group of sneaking into police, intelligence, and even court systems. Mkhwanazi said top police officers, politicians, government workers, and judges were working with crooks for money. He pointed fingers at Police Minister Senzo Mchunu, among others.
Just a week later, on July 13, 2025, President Ramaphosa stepped in with big moves. He put Mchunu on special leave starting August 1, 2025. He named Professor Firoz Cachalia as Acting Minister of Police and Minister Gwede Mantashe as a short-term stand-in. Most importantly, he created the Judicial Commission of Inquiry under section 84(2)(f) of the Constitution.
Chaired by Justice Mbuyiseli Madlanga, the commission includes top lawyers Advocate Sesi Baloyi SC and Advocate Sandile Khumalo SC. Its job is to look into criminal acts, political meddling, and rot in the criminal justice setup. This covers the South African Police Service (SAPS), the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), and the judiciary. Ramaphosa said only a top-level, free probe like this could fix public faith in these bodies.
The commission has a budget of nearly R148 million for its six-month run. It was meant to give a first report in three months, around October 2025, but delays pushed things back. Now, it’s in its second stage, where people named in claims must answer back. The full report, with suggestions on what to do next, is due by March 17, 2026.
The Court Challenge by MK Party and Zuma
The MK Party and Jacob Zuma are not happy with Ramaphosa’s choices. They say he went too far and broke the Constitution. In their latest push at the Pretoria High Court, they want the court to scrap the decisions on Mchunu’s leave, Cachalia’s job, and the commission itself.
Represented by Advocate Dali Mpofu SC, the MK Party argues these steps are against the law. They claim the president cannot suspend a minister like that or pick someone outside Cabinet as acting minister. On the commission, they say it steps on the toes of the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) and the Magistrates Commission. These are the right bodies to check judges, not a new inquiry. Mpofu called Ramaphosa’s actions unconstitutional and said the president exceeded his executive authority.
They also worry about bias. With Justice Madlanga leading, and claims touching the judiciary, they say it’s like the courts judging themselves. “The judiciary cannot be both the accused and the investigator,” the MK Party has said. They call the commission a waste of money and doubt it will lead to real fixes.
This is not their first try. Back on July 18, 2025, they filed an urgent case, but the Gauteng High Court threw it out on September 18, saying it was not urgent enough. Then, on October 3, 2025, the Constitutional Court turned down their direct appeal. The ConCourt, in a ruling by Justice Mathopo, said the case should go through lower courts first. It did not rule on the main issues but noted the president was using his normal powers.
Now, in this November hearing, the fight goes on. Outside the court, MK Party supporters protested against the commission on Wednesday, showing how hot this topic is.
Ramaphosa’s Defence in Court
Ramaphosa’s team, led by Advocate Nyoko Muvangua, fought back hard. They say all the president’s moves are solid under the law. Nothing in court proves they should be stopped, Muvangua argued.
On the commission, Muvangua gave good news: it’s on track despite setbacks. “The final report is anticipated as set out in the terms of reference by March 17 next year. There is nothing to the contrary,” he told the court. He stressed the first report is due by December 17, 2025. Muvangua said the court should not meddle in the president’s work.
Ramaphosa has defended the commission before. He says it does not replace the JSC or other watchdogs but helps them. If any judge is found guilty, the case goes to the JSC for action.
Judgment is reserved, so we wait to see what the court decides.

🔴Central News Weekly Edition | Issue 119 Download the Latest Print and E-Edition | Jacob Zuma Welcomes Tony Yengeni to MK Party as Second Deputy President in Major Leadership Shake-Up🔴
Read more⬇️⬇️⬇️
https://centralnews.co.za/central-news-weekly-edition-issue-116-download-the-latest-print-and-e-edition-headline-jacob-zuma-welcomes-tonyyengeni-to-mk-party-as-second-deputy-president-in-major-leadership-shake-up/
Read all our publications on magzter:
Read all our publications on magzter:
https://www.magzter.com/ZA/Central-News-Pty-Ltd/Central-News/Newspaper/All-Issues
Central News also offers Sponsored Editorial Content, Podcasts , Radio / Social Media Simulcast, Video Production , Live Streaming Services, Press Conferences, and Paid Interviews (Video/Audio) etc.
We guarantee exceptional exposure, reach, and engagement, with an excellent return on investment.
Advertisement:
To place your advert on our platforms (Print Newspaper or Digital Platforms) : Please email : sales@centralnews.co.za
For Business Related:
business@centralnews.co.za
Newsroom:
Send your Stories / Media Statements To: newsroom@centralnews.co.za
General Info:
info@centralnews.co.za
Office Administrator:
admin@centralnews.co.za
Whatsapp / Call: 081 495 5487
Website: https://www.centralnews.co.za
Social Media Platforms (@centralnewsza) : Linkedin, Facebook, Tiktok, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube

