By Thys Khiba
Komani – The Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality says that they regret the manner in which the initial social media post was shared ‘where minimal detail was provided.’
This is after a ‘stadium’ in the Eastern Cape, worth an eye watering R15 million, has left many social media users scratching their heads.
“The Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality is aware of concerns from members of the public on social media around the Lesseyton sports facility constructed near Komani.”
The Lesseyton Sports field was recently opened in the Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality.
As a way of providing the youth with a sport facility, the stadium is expected to serve as a suitable playing ground to benefit over six villages.
According to the municipality, the construction of the sports facility commenced at the beginning of March 2020 following an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), after beenapproved by DEDEAT authorising the project within the limits stated in the NEMA Act.
“Further investigations were also conducted to determine the suitability of the site to be developed into a sports field with associated structures – which include survey, Geotechnical and Geohydrological tests.”
The project scope entailed:
• Erection of 780 metres Palisade fencing
• Construction of Rugby and soccer field (site clearing, layering of grounds)
• Rock blasting – undertaken as the area comprised mainly of hard rock which had to be removed to allow for construction
• Earth works – excavation and levelling of grounds
• Layer works – G5 imported sub-base layer; 13 mm crushed stone which is 75 mm thick; top soil and transplanting of kikuyu grass
• Athletics track – grassed track – layers of crush stone, drainage system to ensure its viability
• Ablution facilities (2 blocks) – construction of 14 toilets and 8 showers
• Change rooms – showers and benches
• Borehole drilling, equipping and water reticulation installation, Rain water catchment tank, High rise water main tank
• Sewer system with sceptic tank,
• Electrical installation,
• Guard house
• Steel grand stands.
DO YOU HAVE A NEWS STORY OR AN OPINION FOR CENTRAL NEWS: E-mail us : firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp us on 083 398 9119